Hayk90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Hayk90

I’m needing to the do my rack and front diff here eventually... If engine mounts are easy too while in there, those too. Oh, and whatever else I discover while in there.

Did you buy a reman OE rack or go with a used one? OPG was changed a while back under PO so hopefully it’s okay, but I know given what needs to be done to remove the rack and diff, my best bet is following an OPG DIY like this and the linked threads.

Did you do this job with a lift or on stands? Just in the planning phases now...

Engine mounts are super easy, there is just two bolts holding them to the subframe and one nut to the engine. I would probably break the bolts and the top nut loose before removing the subframe, so you have more leverage.

Make sure you order replacement hardware. BMW newTIS guides all state to replace almost every bolt. I followed that advice as a lot of my bolts were very rusty or past their prime. Let me know if you need some help, I used realOEM.com for all my part numbers and then ordered them from FCP.

I bought a used rack from California for $250, it had 100k miles on it but looked almost brand new. It also included inner/outer tie rod ends in great condition. After the install, I noticed very small seepage from around the flange that seals the two metal pipes to the rack, but it's not enough to create any drips. If I had the cash, I would recommend ordering a reman one from FCP, I think they're around $600-800 and have a lifetime warranty.

If your pan is dry, leave it alone, not worth the hassle of opening it up and doing all that work.

I used large 6 ton jacks stands on their lowest height which gave me plenty of clearance, but quiet annoying to work on in this way. It's not impossible but definitely not ideal. I think having another person with you would make for a much more pleasant experience when you need to get up and get a different tool ro socket.

After I was done with the 328xi, I helped my friend do his OPG on a 2008 135i and we knocked it out in two full days with lunch/dinner and we also replaced his water pump/thermostat. The pan gasket was replaced by the end of day 1.

The AWD makes a HUGE difference, not just because of the front differential, but because everything is slightly different. Subframe is steel instead of aluminum so it's much heavier. The suspension arms are all steel vs aluminum. And the steering rack is in a different spot. For example, you can drop the steering rack without touching the subframe on RWD models. Also the fact that his car came from Florida made everything come apart way easier.

I just recently had to go back and replace the steering pump because I accidentally damaged it when I replaced the rack. I didn't put enough fluid in and didn't turn the engine off in time so it got burned up. So now I've completely overhauled the whole steering system as well. If you need any help with that job, let me know.
Appreciate 3
e90yyc2425.00
gxe2se37.50
8081M40.50