View Single Post
      05-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #13
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSRxi
I have a 2008 335xi 6spd manual. So I first changed my broken stock lower control arm bushings with new stock ones. Was not happy with how mushy they are. SO I did order the red strongflex. They took over a month to get to CA from Poland.. I installed them they are an improvement. Steering is tighter.

But I think I would have tried the next level of hardness.. Forget the color.

One thing I just found as a big improvement to steering is to check or tighten the preload on the steering rack.

My on center steering feel felt very loose. Some of this is in the actual lower steering linkage. But once I tightened this up it was a nice improvement.

You have to drop the front plastic splash shield. I was able to get a 17mm short socket on it with a 7" extension with a Universal joint.

Its a bear to get it on the nut. Its not that easy to unbolt the rack to lift up so if your patient you can get a socket on there without loosening the rack.

To adjust turn clockwise. Dont go crazy. You only probably need to go about 1/4 to a 1/2 turn. Keep turning the wheel to see how much resistance it takes to turn. It should come back to center a little. It wont do it that much till your driving and the wheels are back on the car (you need to take off to see the adjustment nut).

Also inspect your lower steering linkage (the rod that goes from fire wall to rack) They are known for getting a lot of play in them. I plan to change mine. Its way better since I increased preload on rack but another part that you should not have to change on a car this $$ and under 100k miles.. I think they run around $200
Can you post pics of the adjustment nut you tightened please ?
Appreciate 0