View Single Post
      08-12-2017, 05:30 AM   #23
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Depends where the crack is. Personally i'd ask to get the thing smoke tested before forking out for a new one. Unless your rocker cover gasket is leaking aswell. Otherwise it is not an implausible explanation because the vacuum reservoir is inside the rocker cover.

Problem is, there are heaps of possible vacuum leaks on the N55.

If you've had the oil filter housing gaskets done they may have disconnected the vacuum supply pipe from the vacuum pump either by pulling the rubber hose off or unscrewing the nipple from the pump. By breaking the seal when pulling off the hose, the seal is compromised. The clip on fitting to the rocker cover is also likely to leak because it only has one o-ring, vibration can cause a leak.

The small hoses from the rocker cover to the pressure converter (wastegate solenoid) and from the pressure converter to the wastegate vacuum actuator can get brittle with age and heat. Again, if they have been pulled off before then they might not seal as good as they used to.

The hoses to the exhaust flapper can also leak like the wastegate ones. If you have done the golf tee mod then make sure the golf tee or whatever plug is still tight and present.

If you want a cheaper fix and dont mind the clutter, go buy a new N54 vacuum can and some suitable vacuum hose and replumb the system. You'll need some adapters to make it work though
Appreciate 0