03-23-2020, 11:17 PM   #32
flipnkraut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the hammer View Post
Focus on your electrical installations. Meet with your electrician and discuss what the Porsche/Tesla home fast chargers use and wire it for that (for a future fast charging option). Will be something like a 60amp or two 30 amp plugs. Maybe one 220V and one at 110v. Can then have option of running a decent welder set up off it as well. or lathe or milling machine. All things on my list if I was building.
I'll never own a Tesla, but there will be great electric sports cars in 10-20 years that I might own or a classic car (e30 or 911) electric convert.

Cost is basically some expensive heavy gauge cabling and you can terminate the wiring into a box for future plug installation, you don't even have to hook it up yet, just get the cable run in the walls that's heavy enough and with enough wires in it for 220v. Also design your breaker box with your electrician so that it has capacity for all this. Yes it'll triple the hardware cost but really a lot cheaper now than retrofit in the future. And the hardware is not a huge bill anyways, neither are extra 2 dollar outlets.

I'd also go overkill on how many outlets Installed in The garage. Put some at chest height where work bench would be (I have 6 outLet's on my bench, all are full of chargers for various tools. You will need lots. Then put an outlet every 6 feet all the way around the garage walls. Trust me you will need them as the garage gets full of shelving, lockers, tool boxes, car projects, etc.
Man thank you for this. I completely overlooked outlets. You sir probably saved me many headaches and dollars.
Appreciate 0