View Single Post
      06-25-2020, 09:11 PM   #51
kmaforty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i, '17 530i, '20 330ix

still leaking and smoke from top of engine

I was successful in completing this job after dismantling the coil wire harness to get necessary slack.
Name:  IMG_8109.jpg
Views: 1850
Size:  819.9 KB

I was also able to extract two of the broken bolts - there is still one stripped, but plan to use an extended bolt and nut under the flange instead of retapping a larger bolt.

Also realized it is best to place the gasket on the head if you have the metal valve cover - or else the gasket (which sticks out beyond the cover) hangs up in the back if you secure it to the cover with RTV.

I also had to replace the cover vent tube after the original broke during removal. I highly recommend OE. I had purchased a JL brand from Pelican and absolutely could not get it to clip on either the valve cover or oil separator nipple. It requires some contortion to feed the part and make the heater electrical connection behind and under the intake manifold. Once in position though, the OE tube snapped right on.

I am still having issues and concerned I may have missed something or created another issue. I had hoped I eliminated the leaks on top (including the oil filter housing gasket replacement) and likely still have a leaky oil pan gasket. I am still seeing oil drips on the floor and lost 1/2 quart drop in a couple hundred miles - which seems worse than before gasket. Beyond that, there is visible smoke coming from the top of the engine and am getting some nasty oil smell coming into the interior which I did not have before. I thought it have been old oil residue and from retapping, but it is not burning off. BMW tech suggested in may be related to the oil separator.

Anyone experience similar smell and smoke after replacing the gasket. Perhaps I went light on the torque and still weeping at the valve cover? Or could there be an issue with the oil separator or something else?
Appreciate 0