10-01-2021, 09:37 AM   #700
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Ok since you guys brought it up and this thread is totally derailed anyway I have a question…

I’m getting ready to install one of those crank hub seal guards. There are quite a few companies selling them now.

They all work the same way, undo the crank hub pulley and then bolt the guard over the crank hub seal using the bottom front 2 bolts below the crank hub. Shown here:

So some companies selling the guards are using aluminum bolts, some are using stainless bolts, and some using undisclosed (I assume steel) bolts. I ordered the ECS Tuning one which uses stainless bolts.

I did some reading and it said any of those would be ok in aluminum provided you are using a smaller steel part in a large aluminum part. (Like a single bolt into an aluminum block).

But is that area shown in the image above with the 2 screws aluminum or magnesium?
Those definitely need to be aluminum bolts. that part of the block is magnesium.

Keep in mind the N54 seal is the same, so the kits that come with steel bolts are probably for N54s.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3763.50