01-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
I don't understand how the endlinks can pre-load the sway bar. The only load it can take is one side higher or lower than the other, by torsional twisting. Now maybe the rubber sway bar bushings (holding the bar to the chassis) are loaded/binding up, both twisting same way to get to the new lower ride height. If the bar is not free to move to a lower position, I can see needing to release & re-tighten them esp if they are stock.

Not disputing what you're saying just not seeing it in my head what you mean when you say the bar was pre-loaded.
Trust me, I had to draw myself a diagram before I could conceptually understand, it confused the hell out of me.

The sway bar should be doing nothing when riding on a flat straight road, meaning if you reached underneath while the car is sitting with all weight on all 4 tires you should be able to undo the endlink bolt and pull off the endlink with no resistance(This is ideal). That is suppose to be how the endlink connects.

But when lowering the car the strut gets shorter meaning the standard mount point on the sway bar point moves closer to the ground. So if you connect the stock length endlink, it pulls on the sway bar when weight is put back on the car and that causes preload on the sway and effects the effective spring rate since you aren't letting the springs work as they should.
Appreciate 0