View Single Post
      02-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #137
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

i think that oversimplifcations attributed to the DME and is operation as a whole, and with that the idea of reactive timing control has become a mantra.

for instance, the DME can and does listen to each cylinder for knock events (on a seperate basis) so it can detect and isolate the event to an individual cylinder -- we know that all cylinders do not run at the same temp -- so pulling the timing a "good" running cylinder is looked at as sub-optimal.

since no one has noted it yet, the temp in the engine block can be varied by the use of MAP cooling - the thermostat is electronically controlled to allow or inhibit coolant flow to keep engine efficiency high.

timing is also set per cylinder, based on requirement (speed, load, temp, etc.) so i am guessing that the use of a "boost controller" alone could be viable for increase power production, but as noted so many times before -- its shouldnt be consider the "best" approach.

yes, this electronic engine management system is sophisticated, yes is reacts quickly -- again restating the restated point -- tuning is not suppose to be reactive -- yes there needs to be a failsafe -- proper tuning is not a "trickle down" game, eg. lets throw this at the system and see what happens -- its should be a graduated -- measured -- safe approach to more power.

if some one could direct me to an article from a respected forced induction tuner that preaches getting anywhere close to knocking -- id like to read it -- maybe im behind the times

Last edited by shifterboy45; 02-25-2011 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0