View Single Post
      07-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #49
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjb View Post
Took some more images. I now need to source this "blind rivet bolt" or find a local welder. Opinions and recommendations welcome!

Here's a breakdown...

1) Overall image. As you can see, the bar has begun to pull away from the subframe. Meaning, I need to get this fixed ASAP.

2) Top of rear stud. The rear stud is accessible from the top.

3) Severed front stud.

4) The subframe is about 5mm thick but I can't get my finger on the top portion (blue) because of the subframe's form (red)

5) Mirror showing severed stud thread and top.
Looking at the broken off area...it appears to me that there is a wider part just below the aluminum plate...maybe a swaged in fitting that a stud was turned into?...Try vice grips on the broken threaded portion and see if it turns..use some "PB Blaster" a few times first to make sure if it's threaded in it's not siezed up...I just replaced my bushings and as I recall the torque on these is very low..I have 3 torque wrenches..one for inch pounds, one for 10-50 ft lbs and one for HD torque...you try to torque something requiring 5-10 ft lbs with a 50-200 ft lb wrench you're asking for trouble...don't ask how I know...in my youth I snapped off my share of tiny studs (think 4 mm Alfa water pump mounting..had to pull the radiator to get things fixed...taught me a lesson!)
Appreciate 0