07-27-2017, 06:15 AM   #50
slinkygn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prev View Post
I recently had this problem. Got pissed off with it, so gave it a few big smacks with a hammer and it popped out the top.
As a matter of fact, that is *exactly* what ended up working for me. Amazing what a little bit of pissed-off will do for a situation!

Meant to take photos, but of course didn't. Turned out really, really well in the end. I'll try to remember to take some shots next time I've got her up on a lift; I have to drop the oil pan next time out anyway so that sway bar will definitely be coming off :/

Oh, and that seemingly swaged-in portion mentioned earlier is just the head of the press-fit stud; you can see on the other side the "scar" on the sheet aluminum from the stud press. That seemingly got pressed into that bit of sheet aluminum much like studs get pressed into hubs, and then that was all welded onto the rest of the subframe. I think the rivnut approach here is likely the most structurally sound solution available for this problem, bar none. I'm really happy with the results.
Appreciate 0