07-27-2017, 06:39 AM   #51
slinkygn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92fanboy View Post
I also recently snapped one of these off. This thread looks like a lifesaver, but I had one question. What size is the Rivet Nut?
Just get that exact part: 51718175003. It's an M8 rivnut, but lower-profile than a standard M8 rivnut - I know because I bought an M8 rivnut from my hardware store first and it was different enough to where I (fortunately) held off until I could order and receive the genuine article.

Instead of then bolting the bushing bracket in, I got one of these off of McMaster-Carr:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#99067a113/=18ofn23

I may have actually been able to get away with using the 25mm instead of the 50mm, in retrospect. I screwed that sucker as far in as it would go, I think, with that contamination-resistant orange-red "red" Loctite (because I'm an overkill kind of guy) and it still protruded just a slight bit more than the other stud. I didn't mind; to me having it screw in until it hit the other bit of aluminum made it feel more secure somehow, and outside of the slightly greater length you can barely even tell that area was worked on.

(More overkill: I also smeared some JB Weld onto the outside of that rivnut before pressing it in. Why not, right?)
Appreciate 0