08-03-2017, 06:33 PM   #52
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkygn View Post
I just had this problem myself. That blind nut seems like a really elegant, professional-looking solution.

That said, I just ran into this video while looking for a solution for this and thought folks that had/are having this problem would be interested. Apparently there are other companies than this brand that have a product like this now, but this is the first I'd seen of it.

Full disclosure: I don't work or own any part of this company or any other that does this to my knowledge, and frankly had never even seen anything like this before.

I'm thinking about calling around to some metal work shops in the area to see if they have anything like this. (Maybe after I find some shear-strength specs, which I haven't yet -- but that video sure does seem to make it look sufficient.) What do you guys think?

Edit: just checked -- that particular tool will specifically do studs up to 5/16"/M8, which is exactly the size of that bushing mount stud that sheared off. I've seen other guns like it, but they all seem to just do thin 2/3mm pins, mostly to pull on for body work.

Edit 2: Since now it sounds like I'm plugging that original machine in the video, and I *hate* plugs masquerading as real posts, I found another machine that can do the same (including up to M8):

This looks like a tool i seen on wheel dealers lol. they weld the studs/pins to the sheet metal body to pull dents and accident damage out. Same concept to weld a legit permanent stud on, i guess.

OP glad you got this fixed! Also convenient that bmw dealers carry it because i don think a hardware store would have that, esp in a Metric Thread.

I've used similar products at work, fastening electrical component's to various surfaces. Amazing how well they work.
Appreciate 0