Tim M
Just a regular guy.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by longodj View Post
Hey Guys,
So, at the last autocross I went to, a WRX STI demolished every BMW in its tracks. The STI is 3300 lbs. My brother has been eyeballing a Porsche Cayman S and will probably be getting one before next autocross season, and I'm trying to get him into autocross. The Cayman S is 3000 lbs. My roommate drives a Nissan 240sx. 2800lbs

Now, I drive a 6MT 335xi E90. 3800lbs. My brother has pretty much always beat me at everything (except anything technical but that's a whole nother story for a whole nother day), so I'm looking to drop some weight from my car.

Hopefully this thread will stand as a central place to find where to drop weight from our cars. I'm looking to drop at least 200 lbs while still "feeling" stock and being daily drivable....i.e. while keeping my girlfriend from killing me every time she gets in my car Maybe in a year or so I'll jump for nice racing seats reupholstered to match my Terra but that's a bit too deep for my pockets atm. So by daily drivable I mean keep all audio/nav components, A/C, etc.

I fully understand that this is sort of ridiculous so please do not flame me, if you don't have anything helpful to say relating to this issue please do not post. I also fully understand that our cars aren't necessarily designed to be light and aren't the greatest to start with if looking for light. I ALSO understand that weight isn't everything, but hell WHY NOT drop a few pounds right? I'm already on a diet

Here's what I have found so far, although I don't know of most of the exact weight savings numbers... I don't know if I will personally be able to get well....any of these before next season but if I can get an idea I might be able to scrap some together :-P

-Wheels/Non-RFT Tires (Unsprung): ~45lbs
-Lightweight Battery (Rear): ~40 lbs (stat by HP Autowerks)
-CF Hood (Front): ~30lbs
-CF Boot (Rear): ~15lbs
-Exhaust (Center): ~20lbs
-Removing rear seats (Rear): ?? (for track days...)
-Replacing front seats (Front): ~80lbs (stat by HP Autowerks)

SUGGESTIONS:
-Headers
-LTW Control Arms
-Interior Panelling
-FMIC
-Downpipes
-Intake

Anyone know of any other permanentish mods that dump weight without damaging daily drivability? Preferably the mods would be in the front to dampen that 53/47 or so split we have going.

Thanks,
Dave

UPDATE May 31, 2008: My car weighs in at 3740 with Kosei K1/Bridgestone RE01R

There is a member on here who turned his 335i into a full blown track vehicle. Fuck whatever everyone is telling you to do to YOUR car. It's YOUR car man. Turn it into YOUR creation, and if it makes YOU happy, then do it. Sure, take some advice from people on here, but take the ideas that you want to use.

I forget the member's name, but his car is named "Blue" and it's sick. That said, get out there, and make something!
Appreciate 0