08-14-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprieur View Post
:madn cold starts I am experiencing the erratic idle where the car almost sounds like its going to die. It settles out after a min or so and only happens when I start the car cold. I am NOT having the long crank problems though. Does anyone know what this could be?

Right now I have 3800 miles, original HPFP went at 3000 (only had long crank symptoms NOT what I described above). Though it may be my butt dyno getting used to the power again (after 328 loaner) but I am starting to feel more turbo lag compared to the day I picked it up (after HPFP replacement).

I really hope its not the HPFP again, two bad pumps in 3 months of ownership would be a BIT absurd. Any help?
Does your RPM needle jump and and down during these rough idles? Is it like a tractor where the whole car is shaking or is it just very subtle?

Since it only happens when your car is cold, I suspect its mainly cause your engine's cold. I had this problem before where my car would even buckle when accelerating during a cold start. But now its fine after I took it to the dealers and have them upgrade the software on my car. I believe they installed Progman version 25.00. Any version newer than 25.00 should do the trick as well.

Also try switching your fuel source and make sure you load up with the highest octane rating as possible and make sure you get gas that has the least additives as possible. Try a different type of gas and once you find a source of good gas, try and load up every time there. Also look for places where usually there are a lot of people loading up since you'll know that the gas is replaced there often unlike gas stations with little traffic where the gas in the tanks below the ground tend to settle over time. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0