View Single Post
      05-13-2020, 10:51 PM   #16
TDF9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Reviving this thread as I've started replacing the subframe on my 325i. Finally got it out tonight, after painful process to get parking brake disconnected and brake hoses loose (corrosion is out of control), and have a few questions I hope someone can help with:

1) must I replace the bolts that hold the subframe to the body? I can't tell if they're aluminum. Prefer not to drop $40 on these if not. Any other bolts I should be sure to replace?

2) any advice about how to decide which bushings are shot and need replacement - and/or, which are highest impact to refresh? I'd originally thought I'd do as many as possible, but I'm now appreciating how much time, cost and hassle that'd be. I'm thinking the Whiteline subframe inserts make sense (and far easier than replacing the subframe bushings), and I've read the trailing arms take a lot of abuse, so thinking they're my next highest priority. Beyond that... just not sure. No obvious clunks or odd noises coming from the back of the car, but it'll also easily deflect off its line if I hit a bump mid-corner.

3) should the shocks rebound quickly when compressed? With the subframe out I compressed the shocks by hand and was surprised they take seconds - 5+ or so? - to rebound. Curious if that means they're done. Previous owner replaced them, but that might've been 50k miles ago.

4) the brake hose to solid metal line connections - both on the subframe and on the body of the car - are incredibly rusty and corroded. I'm concerned metal lines on the body will be damaged when I try to remove the hoses. Anyone have special tricks to avoid this?

I appreciate all thoughts and advice!
Appreciate 0