View Single Post
      09-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #10
slides
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy138 View Post
Personally I would suggest getting a second car for track duty if it's something you really want to get into. Look at used race/track cars and don't worry about HP. Keep in mind tire/brake size and look for cheaper to run cars.

I recently spent some track time in a fully prepped lemons 24hr e36 race car. Now looking at doing some racing on a local team. Not even similar experiences. Race weight with driver and gas is around 2400-2500lbs.

My take away from doing HPDE track days:

First couple times it is easy to get hooked and want to do it all the time. After a couple track days the high running costs become apparent and the experience becomes more about track driving rather than driving X car at Y speed. You also start to see that track/race prepped cars will absolutely smoke most street cars with 2-3x the HP- except on straights.

For car/equipment:

-get something lightweight, RWD, N/A, and manual. (Used Caymen, Boxster (if club allows), Miata, RX8, E46/E36/E30 325i, etc.)
-assume it will get beat up and there is always the chance it could get totaled.
-upgrade tires and brake pads.
-enjoy the car for what it is.
-don't bother spending all the time, $ and aggravation to set up a daily driver to run a few seconds/lap faster for maybe 5 hours of non timed track time per year.
-trailer/vehicle to bring it to the track. Also helps in case you break something and live a few hours away.

Have fun and remember it's dangerous and random shit happens. Last track day I saw a newer corvette get towed off on a flatbed. The right rear wheel (wheel, not tire) must have been fatigued from a random impact and exploded on the straight. Car spun at 80+mph but luckily didn't hit anything. I didn't know the driver personally but he was running in the advanced run group. Very lucky dude.

PS: after running in a race car with full roll cage, no air bags, full harness, hans device, bucket seat, and fire suppression system- will make you feel very vulnerable in a street car with no roll cage and air bags.

Hope this helps.
This does help, its funny that you bring up how HP doesn't really matter. My buddy has a stripped 330ci and sets the same lap times as me at several tracks, while he is 70hp less but 500+lbs lighter.
Appreciate 0