View Single Post
      11-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #70
only1harry
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig13 View Post
Sorry to hear that! Mine does not have a lot of free play in the steering wheel.
Yeah I made an appointment with the Dealer to have the steering rack looked at since it's still under the CPO warranty. I hope they don't tell me it's not covered because of the Bilstein shocks I am also getting a clicking sound in the steering. I had that about a year and a half ago when the car had 25k mi. and the Dealer replaced the lower shaft U-joint and it went away. Now it's back, and I am thinking the rack or its gears have a major problem. We 'll see what they say. There is also a torx bolt where the shaft meets the rack I was reading here that if it's even slightly loose it will give you free play and affect the way the car tracks down the road (making constact corrections like I do which drives me crazy, etc.) and keeping going straight. The steering is also more loose than before. It doesn't have that tight or heavy feel it used to.

Anyway I think I screwed up and should have installed new OE springs at the same time I had the Bilsteins installed. Maybe that's where the bounciness is coming from which did not improve much after the Bilstein HD's. I also found excess play in the rear sway bar end-links, so I think those are bad. I am thinking of ordering the Meyle end links. Anyone have experience with those or have read anything bad about them?

Glad your Bilsteins are still holding up and you like the car/handling Craig. I have hit some major pot holes so I am still in the phase or replacing stuff and trying to figure out what's causing the crappy handling and bounciness. So far besides the Bilsteins I have replaced the front lower control arms and the front end-links, but nothing has changed I need to address the free play and clicking in the steering first I think, and the end links, and then go from there if things don't improve considerably.

Thanks,
Harry