View Single Post
      11-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
If you don't understand weight reduction, you might want to consider a new career. There is no better modification for performance than weight... or lack there-of. I guess, unless you are referring to dynos....
Yea so anyway. A lighter intercooler given the same dimension as a heavier intercooler just means that the cores are different internally. If you've done your homework on intercoolers you would know there are several types of intercooler designs, ranging from your typical bar and plate design, or tube and fin design ETC

Air flow is only one characterstic of intercoolers. (I'm trying to leave mathematics out of this discussion as I feel it will just derail things further.) If you flow the air past the intercooler to fast the cooling benefits go down drastically. On the other side of the spectrum if you want to cool the air the most you want to slow down the air, in turn you increase the pressure drop, cause lag, and above all else make the turbo's work harder to meet target.

All of this adds up mathematically to a happy medium between air flow, and cooling. You have one more then the other and you are missing the "efficiency" of an intercooler.

So as i stated previously, if you are shopping intercoolers based on weight, then you are likely shopping intercoolers based on CHEAP, non efficient cores, and therefore you are shopping incorrectly if you think the idea of an intercooler modifications main purpose is to reduce weight.

I'm sorry but you have it entirely wrong. Weight savings is great but in the right places.
Appreciate 0