10-12-2017, 08:27 AM   #13
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
BSD (Bit Serial Data line) is a bus that goes to water pump, alternator, oil level sensor. And it may also be going to IBS, I don't remember that one well. you can search here or google you will find.

Alternator has two wires that goes into it. One is thick red battery plus wire. The other is a thinner single wire that connects to the voltage regulator, this one is on the BSD bus. The ECU uses this bus to tell alternator what voltage to make its output.
I would check if you had connected this wire to the alternator.
If yes, then it is possible you have a bad voltage regulator that is making the rest of the BSD bus not work also.
You need some troubleshooting to do.

People here reported and based on documentation as well, when BSD wire is disconnected from alternator, alternator is designed to go to its own default working mode, which would make it more like regular alternators that are not controlled by ECU. So it is supposed to put something like 14V if it is not connected on BSD. With BSD connected and everything working, I have seen ECU commanding alternator from 13.5 to 14.8 Volts output voltage depending how much charge there is in the battery.

Hope this helps.
hey, thanks this helps. yea i looked up the images online of teh bsd line items. yes ibs is connected to it. i checked the wires from alternator yesterday, while the voltmeter was connected to alternator + and reading 14.9v, i shook the smaller BSD wre connected to teh regulator, nothing changed in voltage. it's on there tightly. lets see what the used alternator i ordered does, hope it works lol.
Appreciate 0