View Single Post
      07-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #80
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
As we have discussed countless times and you refuse to accept, BMW states in writing that the LL-04 oil is NOT acceptable for use in U.S. gas engine models from 2006 onwards yet it's a perfectly good oil. Using the REQUIRED LL-01 oil is not only appropriate to maintain your new vehicle warranty, BMW has confirmed via actual engine/oil testing which they conduct year round that for the U.S. you need to run LL-01 approved oils
No BMW did not test the fuels in the USA, just like they did not run individual tests, per engine type, which is why they end up recommending the same oil for use in a 2.5L I-6, and a 5.0L V10. If this was anything concrete, BMW would have told us, what specifically caused their recommendation, as the formular of fuels in the US varies.

Quote:
Once again we can discuss oil base stock vs. actual oil performance in operating engines...
A mute point, since science is science. Synthetic is man made, mineral oil, is made by nature. end of discussion

Quote:
NO MAJOR CAR MAKER specifies the oil base stock required for passenger car oil specifications because it is NOT the oil base stock that determines the overall LUBRICATION PERFORMANCE IN YOUR ENGINE. It is the TOTAL OIL FORMULATION that determines an oil's performance in an engine. The additive package is the primary factor in determining an oil's performance. Therefore you could select many PAO based oils that are perfectly good oils for some application but they are NOT SUITABLE FOR USE IN A BMW ENGINE unless they are LL-01 approved
Thats just completely backward. PAO base stocks don't crack over time, with increasing oxidative, and thermal stress, like a V10 M5 dishes out. mineral oil based "LL01" oils, need their additive package to hold off the degradation, and eventual cracking. So by your logic, its the additive package (<30% of total formulation), not the base stock (70% of the total formulation) thats most important?

Quote:
The use of LL-01 approved oils of the correct viscosity is a U.S. BMW warranty REQUIREMENT. BMW does NOT care what brand or oil base stock the oil is as long as it has been tested by BMW and approved to LL-01 specs and is the correct viscosity - because that is what your engine actually REQUIRES.

For those looking to know if an oil is APPROVED to BMW LL-01 specs check the oil bottle to be sure it states:

APPROVED TO LL-01 or CERTIFIED to LL-01.
I agree with this statement. Its when you refer people to BMWUSA's short list of their buddies LL01, oil, that I cry foul, because like it or not, no two BMW LLO1 oils will last the same amount of time in an N54! Your welcome to come see my dealership records to prove this point, any day of the week!
Appreciate 0