View Single Post
      08-20-2018, 09:18 AM   #30
bmwdiesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick///M3 View Post
So far i have changed all the usual suspects on the car.
Maf
Map
Actuators
Vaccum lines

The last item was the vaccum pump. After the vaccum pump was changed it started another problem with the brake pedal beeing stiff at start up.

My problem with the small turbo remains.

Light to middle throttle the car moves sufficiently
Full throttle under 2.5k rpm and the car is choking untill it reaches 2.5k. Then it goes ballistic.

It holds boost and vaccum when working. When you turn of the car the vaccum goes to 0 immidiately.

Boost until 2.5k rpm is arround 0.8-1.2 bar and at 2.5k rpm goes to 2.3-2.4 bar

My mechanic now says it must be the small turbo itself....

i wouldn't bet on small turbo. I had the same issue in low range about 3 times (now I have low boost throughout whole rev range). it can be a little hole in one of the hoses within vacuum and boost system. or red charger pipe can be lose, or aluminium pipe from intercooler on the other side can be cracked or some rubbery ends on it could be split, or even intercooler itself can leak boost. it can also be some of the connections or lose clamps.
also did you change EGR solenoid under the intake manifold? many times it is forgotten and mechanic swore at me that if it is bad it would throw a code, and when I changed it, it regained power.
or even mistake in hose connection from that EGR solenoid because realoeam drawing has it the other way around resulting in the same symptoms....basically, the whole vacuum and boost system is under suspicion for leaks....and all the things I said, I had actually, so talking from experience.
i would bet that small turbo is the last thing that's wrong...but of course it could be.
and it's easiest for mechanics to say it's turbo, because easy money...

Last edited by bmwdiesel; 08-20-2018 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 2