Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92N54 View Post
Definitely not normal. I've spoked with several others who've run them over long periods and they did not experience this.
Can't remember exactly but pretty sure there was a post about sludge or some sort of crap building up on the VTT breather cap. Does it even work?

I mean this is VTT we're taking about,
There was but I can explain that a bit more as well.

At least for me, every winter I experience some buildup on the oil cap, whether it was the stock cap or the breather cap. This is due to the oil not always reaching 220°F + to vaporize all of the condensation. Happens on every car i've ever owned. This is why in the winter time I go out of my way to drive the car an hour + a few times a week.

With the breather cap I have noticed more buildup, likely due to the fact that it well, breathes. Therefore colder, and more "wet" air is mixing with the oil around the oil cap.

The caps definitely work, whether they're needed or not is certainly up for debate but as I am seeing here, it's clearly helping me at the moment by relieving pressure in my crank case. It's just a check valve, if there's below a minimum pressure, it stays closed. Above that pressure, and it vents. This style of breather has been used on many different cars for a very long time.