View Single Post
      02-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
Mud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

HOW TO: Change DVD Sat Nav drive on the BMW E90 320d

Well last year my Sat Nav stopped recognising the DVD disks, so I had no navi.

I got it into BMW who said the DVD drive had failed and it needed changing and priced it up at £600!! For that much I could get a much better aftermarket alternative! So decided to see if I could get the part and do it myself for cheaper.

I found the part number and purchased the drive for £380, with some discount.

It arrived on Friday in this blue box.

So the tools needed are some trim removal tools, a philips screwdriver and T8 and T6 for the torx screws.

So first thing to do is to partially remove the main trim piece, this is so that the climate control panel can be removed.

Now remove the climate control panel

Once that is removed, you can then remove the trim piece covering the DVD and CD drive with the trim removal tools

You then have access to the cover which has the eject buttons etc on it, this is held in place by two screws, so remove them.

So this is what you are faced with

Now at this point I realised that the DVD drive was not clipped it but screwed in, so the unit had to come out, there are four screws and once these are out the unit simply slides out.
I didnt remove the unit completely as I wanted to do this as simply as possible, so I removed the two screws at the top of the unit and this enabled me to remove the top plate.

Once the top plate is removed you can then unscrew and remove the CD drive, and then underneath remove the two screws which mean the DVD drive slides out.

Unclip the things attached to the DVD drive and then remove it.

Fit the new drive and screw it back in place and then screw the CD player back in place and pop a Navi disk in to make sure it works.

Then reverse the whole process to put the car back to normal.

As now you have a working Navi again.

This took me about an hour to do, and not having done anything like this before I found it to be pretty straightforward.

Saved me £220 on the BMW quote
Appreciate 0