View Single Post
      02-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #136
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
I haven't looked at the photos linked above, but most synchros I've seen in photos are pretty unsophisticated. They look like brass rings. One side is fixed to the collar and the other is open and grabs the end of the spinning gear to synch up the speed of the collar to the gear, so the teeth of the collar will plug into the gear without grinding. Basically, it is grabbing the gear without teeth to allow it to slip a bit and speed up, before it inserts the teeth into the gear.

Those with more knowledge can correct me if I've described it wrong, but it seems like a brilliant but uncomplicated solution. I'd imagine synchros get hot quickly and will get worn if you do a lot of downshifting without rev-matching.
Wow, you are correct about the simplicity of the synchro rings. They looked very fragile compare to the gears themselves. Now this makes me think about my synchros. How do I know if your synchro is worn out? (and no mantis I will not let you drive my car to see if my synchros are worn out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
I dont have sound, but i think this guy is discussing the synchro's at some point in his video

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/hows...work-video.htm
I found this video by looking at one of your link above. I was going to post the video but you beat me to the punch Finally some actual image of synchros.