03-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #23
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
Your results are very interesting.

1. For those of us who have no choice but to keep the EGR operational for Emissions Purposes, I wonder how a meth kit alone would help with preventing build up.

2. Since your EGR is blocked off, do you still really need a meth kit.

3. Would a catch can alone prevent build up, since oil would no longer be introduced into the intake stream, creating havoc mixing with the EGR.

Nonetheless, there is light at the end of the tunnel for the 335d in the US market.
1. so long as you arent subject to random emissions testing, its entirely within the possibilities to run a block off, remove it a week or two before testing, reset the DDE and allow it time to reset the monitors before testing. I fully intend to smog my car when the smog renewal is up.

2. that is a good question, i cant really answer that since I didnt check the manifold in the time I had meth on but not EGR block

3. another good question which I cant really answer. I dont think there is much question though that a catch can would help and maybe a really effective catch can would stop the build up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
is this supposed to be the shocking blockages all the USA guys think is an issue?

the car's a tractor for heaven sake, it's not a clean room for building silicon wafers to go in an i7
whether you choose to believe it is an issue or not is up to you, but there are large numbers of US 335ds ending up in dealerships for this very reason. I wouldnt mind if you posted a picture of your own runners so that we can check and compare

Ive never seen a diesel tractor that revs to 5000 RPM, and if I have the choice between clean room intake runners and gunked up intake runners im going to take clean room every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
HOOOP! I couldn't be happier than to see those results. Was the "before" pic also before meth or just before EGR block? I haven't blocked off my EGR, but have been running meth for a few months now and will be seeing how the runners looks in the nearish future.
The "before" was before meth or EGR block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daddy_38 View Post
Oh my!! I like this result. I am confused though. I thought I had been reading that blocking the EGR would crack the EGR cooler.
all of the EGR delete cooler cracking seems to be on much more modified cars and also from what I can tell seems to be on cars which have EGR tuned out and not blocked off. I dont know that the tune vs block has anything to do with anything or if its even true since I dont think many people are using a physical block instead of a tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DbLog View Post
Are people running a block off plates pre and post egr cooler? I assume a tune is needed to get rid of the engine light.
mine is after the EGR cooler, right at the EGR valve. TDIwyse I believe has a bit different setup he is running with the EGR deleted (block before the EGR cooler)

Last edited by Hoooper; 03-24-2014 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0