View Single Post
      03-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #28
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
FWIW, if you block the EGR up near the EGR valve you cannot dump coolant into the motor. At that point the only direction for it to go is out the exhaust. The guys you have seen with cracked EGR coolers and coolant going into the intake seem to all have had the EGR coded out but not physically blocked. I am looking forward to the prospect of blocking the EGR cooler top and bottom though.
Depends on the way the exhaust manifold is configured which I am unsure of. I know this from the my Powerstroke which actually has a sort of similar setup. Guys have hydrolocked motors from cracking EGR coolers, but not the way you'd think. No way for coolant to go in the motor through the intake like you stated. But say you crack the EGR cooler, shut your car off and let it sit long enough. You normally have a pressurized cooling system, so it will push the coolant out into the EGR cooler. If it pushes enough it could run into the exhaust manifold, cylinder head, then cylinder. Next time you start your car it will not be pretty. But all this depends on where the turbo outlet is on the manifold and where the coolant would run if this were to happen. Perhaps this can be confirmed.

In any case I have an extra egr cooler coming to make a block off plate off of. I have an idea that should allow the stock cooler to stay in place while being blocked. If I can find some time to make them I'll send you one to try if you can give me some feedback on it.
Appreciate 0