02-07-2022, 03:27 AM   #2
Markos ZimZimma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F31 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Processing61 View Post
Hi I’m looking for some advice/info if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I’ve got an E91 with the professional radio. My last car E90 had CCC Idrive, I ended up fitting an android unit which allowed you to use the Idrive and android functions. I would like this in my E91.

I know I can get an aftermarket apple play/android radio in its current slot but I’m really not keen on that position.

So it looks like I can retrofit non Idrive with Idrive and I feel like if I’m going through the hassle of that, I would rather have CIC than the older CCC. I could then fit a combox for bluetooth functionality and apple car play. Or I could then fit an Android unit. I will have some questions if I do go with the complete retrofit lol.

It would be nice to have the bmw Idrive functions but the main thing I want is apple car play in the bubble dash. So I wondered if I could replace the dash with the “bubble” dash (space for Idrive) and then fit an android unit there using the current radio setup. This would be a lot cheaper.

Let me know any thoughts?

Thanks
A few people have added carplay/android boxes to non iDrive dashboards which involves cutting, but with the supplied bezel the end result always looks good. Saw a video of it being done just last week, this would surely be the cheapest solution for you.