Captain
Rep
Drives: Isetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G. View Post
Brian,

I thought the idea was to keep the area near the transmission uncovered to leave space for engine heat to evac? In the last set of photos looks like the entire area is covered. Also did you make any modifications to the windshield area? Your research is appreciated bud.
Yep, that is correct! I was leaving a significant amount of the undertray open to alleviate the engine bay pressure/heat, but last year I had made some nice strides in cooling and essentially don't need to worry about heat as much. Interestingly enough, there is still a decent amount of air that travels through the driveshaft and exhaust tunnels, above the undertray and out of the top of the diffuser, so it's not completely "sealed". I noticed quite a bit of drag reduction resulting from having a complete underbody panel instead of having a large opening underneath the transmission, so overall I'd say it's worth it. I do also a panel with a naca vent pointing towards the rear diff as well, but I haven't had a chance to really see how hot the diff gets.

Regarding the windshield - I didn't make any modifications to the cowl or base of the windshield. I'm not sure if I mentioned in this thread, but the base of the windshield is a high pressure zone, and air actually enters the engine bay from behind the hood (assuming the cowl is removed).

Cheers!
Brian
Understood, thanks for the update Brian.

So if I understand correctly removing the cowl will actually decrease aero unless there was a modification done to the far edges of the cowl where air pressure would be lower. Is that correct?

Can you elaborate a little on the cooling strategies you have implemented?

I'd love to have a set up similar to yours with some sort of louvers incorporated to keep drag low and venting high. Is your under tray made of plastic? I apologize if it's already been covered.

Thanks again for all the work. Super appreciated