Thread: E9x KCAN 101
View Single Post
      02-18-2009, 07:09 AM   #46
gasmeter
Rep
Drives: 320d M Coupe 2008

Hi
Yes there certainly seems to be a lot of hopping between buses.
I did develop some CAN stuff over 10 yrs ago before can was mainstream but then it was only class A,B,C networks and BMW seem to have gone network mad !.

Looking around I have seen products from parrot that sit on the K can bus behind the radio and look for the steering wheel buttons, and also recently I have seen that products like the dension that sit on the most optical bus also seem to be able to access the steering wheel buttons (like answer phone) over the data channel of the most bus.

I hadn't see the bus structure docs before but i can see now for steering wheel controls

SZL-->FCan-->KCan

Also there is a phone button on Rad 2 which is on KCan (i'll ignore the Most), so probably the best place would be the KCan to tap into.
I do have the old codes for older BMW series so the message ids will be the same with luck.

I had 3 levels of targets really

1/ to be able to read the steering wheel buttons / phone / up down etc
2/ to be able to manually change the input on the Rad2 to aux (if its possible to define an input rather than cycle through available ones)
3/ to be able to display some info on the radio display

I guess access is the big problem, KCan is easy to get at as its at the back of the radio.

Peter
Appreciate 0