03-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #73
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smonkey09
I received my CBU kit from Bav Auto yesterday. Today I cleaned the intake, tomorrow I blast heads.

I don't know exactly what I was expecting...when I hear "carbon" i think of hard, crusty soot-like build up.

I was not expecting it to be so GREASY. While it is certainly do-able as a DIY task, expect to get filthy. So far it has been the most unpleasant work I have ever performed on a car. If I didn't need the car to get to work on Monday, I would certainly prefer giving the intake manifold over to an engine shop to be cleaned. Multiple soaking plus taking it to a DIY carwash in Chicago winter to be pressure washed (multiple times) was not fun.

Best substance I found for soaking the intake and flaps in was hot water and Charlies Soap (can be found on Amazon). We've used the laundry detergent for years and one tablespoon cleans a load very well. I used the laundry detergent to clean the intake since it is what I had around the house, but they also make an all purpose cleaner that would have likely done a better job. After 4 soakings and two pressure washes, plus scrubbing with a number of brushes and plastic scrapers, the intake is not spotless but is much better than it used to be.

I was a little on the fence about installing a meth kit, thinking maybe this won't be so bad to do every 40-50k miles (I plan on keeping the car until it falls apart), but I never want to do this job again, or pay someone else $1,200 to do it for me. So when the weather gets warmer I will certainly install a meth kit, plus consider an EGR block.
based on your experience do you think a water meth kit would have prevented the build-up that you encountered during your cleaning? I've been running water meth for about twenty thousand miles and hoping that my car does not need to be Walnut blasted.
Appreciate 0