View Single Post
      09-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #58
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31, 2014 F15, 2002 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpriceisright View Post
Given what a significant job this is and the expensive special tools needed, you might want to try either running it for a minute or two without the belt to see if there are any leaks or putting it all back and checking often. The belt failures are supposedly caused in the main by oil leaking from the oil filter housing gasket at the top of the engine, down onto the belt. I suspect a leak from the seal will not get oil on the belt, so it is not so dangerous to run the motor with the belt in, IMO, and check for leaks. Also, it will not add much extra work (removing belt and draining oil), if you indeed find a leak and have to go back and replace the seal.
Just removed the harmonic balancer and trying to determine if I have a leak or not. I'm an N52, 100k miles, recently fixed a OFHG and VCG that probably leaked slowly for 1 year. I have never had a shredded belt. Below are some pictures - any thoughts whether I have a leaky seal?

Just to confirm the quoted post - is it safe for me to run the engine and see if oil comes out? I've removed the radiator fan and intake, as I was having a separate MAF issue.

Appreciate 0