View Single Post
      03-27-2019, 12:18 PM   #32
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Are there supposed to be fault codes for intermittent misfires (eg misfire detected)? I started experiencing occasional misfires during cold starts and then two very obvious misfires during low RPM acceleration but INPA found no fault codes stored. Shortly after, cylinder 5's coil just died and the engine was misfiring constantly before the CEL finally triggered with a misfire fault. Replacing the coil resolved the issue and testing the coil with a DMM showed that the secondary side had shorted (only 4 milliohms).

For what it's worth, this is the second factory Bosch coil to fail at 130k km. The first failure occured in cylinder 1 at 80k km. Spark plugs were replaced at 100k km with NGK LZFR6AP-11GS (95715). Since there doesn't seem to be any warning prior to failure, I ended up replacing the rest of the coils for peace of mind. OE Bosch coils are only $20 each from Rock Auto, but they were made in Slovenia while the factory Bosch coils were made in Germany.

PS: Coming from a VW 1.8T, I'm no stranger to faulty coils and misfires! Except VW would store fault codes for intermittent misfires so you could replace coils prior to failure.

Last edited by The Nightman; 03-28-2019 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0