View Single Post
      05-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #160
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

I changed out the LG6 in my pan and replaced it with LG6 I bought that is true Shell M1375.4.
I have both Esso and Pentosin which work fine on my two M3's with a 5 spd ZF tranny but I am not willing to take that chance on Mercon SP or anything else. By the way the Shell doesn't smell the same as with Esso or Pentosin. I have no idea if Mercon SP smells the same or not but Esso and Pentosin smell the same which means they smell bad but not as bad as what they smell like pulling them out of the pan.

I just replaced the ATF in a friends X3 ZF transmission (2006 not the GM model in 2007) with Pentosin ATF1 and it went well.

My 335 with the idiot built in pan filter will get a new filter on the 3rd change or so. I changed mine at 35K miles and it was darker than the new honey colored Shell I pumped in. You would expect that given the fact the friction discs and steels are wearing thus causing a lot of hot and a lot of mixed debris.

I did research this transmission and discovered that ZF makes the same model with a separate pan and filter. I don't know if this will fit our transmission the 19-21 model ZF but CTSC pan isn't the OEM and looks OK. However I would much rather have a replaceable filter not pan and filter which is much more expensive.

I plan to change just what is in the pan out every 30-35K miles and hope to have long tranny life.

ZF has posted that 80K kms or 50K mls (BMW speak) is when they state the fluid should be changed. BMW states 100K mls so you choose what you wish but ATF is cheap compared to the cost of replacing this tranny and I tend to believe the manufacturer of this transmission not BMW.

Debate is good, we all learn from it and thanks for the LG6 finding. I plan to buy a case of it since I need 12 L.
Appreciate 0