View Single Post
      05-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
RazRokz.!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
For about a year now, I wanted to enable the phone capabilities in my car. After reading several threads on the topic and talking with Jason of Tischer who dissuading me from installing the OEM phone retrofit route due to cost and complexity. ("Get yourself a parrot system. It's simple to install and far cheaper") For me, I enjoy a challenge and installing OEM equipment where ever possible. I must thank member Marius for his help in clarify what will be needing for my system work. Also fellow E92er, Jimmy W. and Lazd for their contributions.

For those who may be not clear about how this system works, the Bluetooth is meant to be used for the phone system and not for use of music content stored on the phone. But the USB/AUX can be used for playing stored music content from the iPhone to Professional head unit.

My car's build date is 5/07, it's a non iDrive with the SA640 pre-wire option though. Being pre-wired and having the professional head unit is most instrumental in making this system work. FYI, the car does not have the SOS Assist or USB (SA644) pre-wiring.

Anyway for a year now, I've read most of the threads and gather all the components that I may need for my phone system's endeavor. Since I did not need BMW's SOS Assist system, which meant that I did not need the TCU unit. I learned the MULF2 high comes in two variation models. One for just Bluetooth phone system and the other also includes the utilization of the USB plug located in the center arm rest. This later option needs an additional FAKRA cable & plug which is located next to the Bluetooth antenna input on the MULF.

A year ago I bought a phone system (PN 84640404247, not realizing BMW produces many various retrofit phone kits) which had most of the components I needed. This kit includes: eject box, wiring, and interface components for non-Professional radio cars (these vehicle were/are mostly pre'07 or standard cars). In this kit, I was able to use the Bluetooth antenna (84506928461), microphone (84316938762), and eject box (51167118054). The rest of the components I will not be using.

Overtime and figuring out which components I needed, I tracked down: iPhone cradle (8421215868301), MULF2 High electronic unit (84109207360), MULF bracket (65159135687), FAKRA cable (white 61119129360, black 61119129361), USB hub, USB/AUX plug unit (84109237654) and 54 pin MULF plug (61136920074).

For the longest time, I could not understand why I needed the USB Hub. Short story, it works with the other USB plug unit which is located in the glove box. Marius informed me, "[I] didn't need pre-wire SA 644. but 640 is fine. [I] would just need to add $644 to VO (vehicle order)". He added, "the plugs are different -USB has the white and MULF has black. However [I] can use Dremel to trim one side of plug (depends if [I] ordered the white or black cable) and connect it. If [I] didn't want to use a Dremel, then [I] would need to buy USB Hub and two wires black and white, plus you need to make by yourself (you cannot buy it separately) power cable which goes from MULF2 to USB Hub".

So I nixed the HUB hub. and ordered the cable. It turns out there's a simple extra key notch on the white end plug. I simply dremeled the small key off, voila, it fits to plug to the MULF!

Some time ago, I removed the trunk floor and gained access the wiring harness in the bottom trunk area. I wanted to check the fitment of the 54 pin plug to the MULF. As reported in other passed threads, the white provided plug does not fit into my blue plugged MULF. So I ordered the correct one. Picked it up. check it, and viola it fits!.

So tomorrow I will spend some time installing all these items and will be following the instruction manual for 84640398 229 & 65410445465 kit.
Planning to share my experience with you guys and I hope for the best. Once everything is in, next stop will be coding!

Then coded the car with a blank .man file. Allow car to go to sleep. PLug in antenna, and see if I can pair phone. We'll see...
how much was this?

can you control the ipod with the swc?

I want to do this as well but I dont have the usb setup in my car...
Appreciate 0