Brettb1234
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 6MT 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Well, the thing is... when you use a larger pad, you have more surface area touching the vehicle. Assuming the pressure applied to the pad is constant, the more surface area you have touching the car, translates to less overall force (Force = Pressure / Area, so an increase in area translates to a decrease in force). So, for a smaller machine such as a Griot's or Porter Cable, I have found that a 5.5" pad is the "sweet spot" for doing the majority of the correction work. It cuts better than a 6.5" pad, and it also fits better on most vehicles as a 6.5" pad just won't work on curved panels or smaller areas. So, a 6.5" pad may be used for spreading wax or something like that, but in general I do find that 5.5" pads are just a better option in most situations. I even use 5.5" pads 99% of the time on my larger Rupes LHR21 and Griot's G21 machines even though they are built for use with 6.5"-7" pads.

You'll see that M100 is rated at the same 12/10 cut rating as M105 on the Meguiar's scale. I have found M100 to cut very similarly to M105, but M100 is just easier to work with. It has a longer working time which leads to less of a learning curve and less chance of user error & frustration. Fast Correcting Creme also has comparable cut and is considerably easier to work with as it also has a very long working time and produces a very low amount of dust when used with clean pads. To be perfectly honest, I haven't used M105 in years after finding other options that cut as well and are not as much of a hassle to work with.

Spraying water or quick detailer onto a pad was something that stemmed from the popularity of M105. This product has a tendency to dry out quickly during use, so a detailer by the name of Kevin Brown developed the water spritzing technique to extend the working time of the product. It is something I have never felt the need to do with any other product.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Thanks! Again this is really helpful as always. Your responses on this site alone get you my business
Appreciate 0