View Single Post
      05-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
bhold333
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Wheels and Tires... offset on xi

I have a 2009 335i xdrive, and I just bought used VMR 710 wheels on kijiji that came with 265/30r19 rear tires and 245/35r19 front wheels (turns out they were off of a rear wheel drive 335i). I made the mistake of mounting these and driving for three days... the car wasn't performing well overall, and started jerking at lower speeds... really slowing down quick after I took my foot off of the accelerator... and got worse gas mileage. After looking through this forum, I realized that the circumference/diameter of the front wheels was 1.9% greater than the rear wheels, and I assume this is likely the issue (or at least a significant issue that needs to be addressed).

The rear wheels are brand new, so I was hoping to buy new front tires that are 235/35r19. I looked up the manufacturer specks for the rear tires, and they are 25.3" diameter. I found front tires that are 235/35r19 that are 25.4" diameter, according to the manufacturer... the only problem is that they are a different brand of tire than the rear tires (so .4% difference)... would it be ok to use a different brand of tire for the front and rear as long as I am within the .4% range? If i just got four new tires of the same brand, there would be about a .8% difference, which I hear is generally ok, but I would prefer to be closer to the 0% range if possible... just don't know if I should be concerned about different brands of tires. After talking about it with the tire shop, and expressing my concerns, they seemed to think it would be ok to use different brands provided that I am within the 1% range. Given it is an AWD, I don't intend on spinning my tires around town, so any grip difference seems to be less of an issue.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Also, just wanted to say thanks to you all for all of the information on this forum! Definitely wouldn't have figured this issue out without all of this information.

*** Sorry, realized that the thread title is incorrect... has nothing to do with offset... haha. Should be tire brands and diameter.

Last edited by bhold333; 05-30-2018 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Wrong thread title
Appreciate 0