View Single Post
      07-17-2018, 11:17 PM   #66
Cyanfall
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 f32 440i coupe

Garage List
I came from china. Truth being told, it wont really affecting anything. Because most cars bmw sell in china are already domestically built by 华晨宝马, a joint venture of bmw with a local manufactur group. Only certain models (e.g. M cars or x5, x6) are imported. But people who buy them willing to pay premium peice anyway. And the tariff on luxury imported cars (the tariff is specially high on luxury cars, much lower on casual cars) to China is already sky high. Really really high. Adding up with the “engine displacement tax”, it was already somewhere like 100% before this change.

Probabaly bmw wont even sell those cars in china in future. Because chinese government is pushing a realy absurd emmision regulation. The regulation require the average emission of all vehecles a company sell in china to below a number. I cannot recall the exact number, but it is ludicrously low and unrealistic. The only possible way to meet it is kinda having half of the models fully electrical (which is the intention of this regulation, to push the electic car). Many companies are already withdrawing their higher emission, especially sport oriented models from china market. There is a way to sort of get around it with parallel import, or grey market. But thats another topic to dicuss. Or just pay the fine, which is what porsche doing. Porsche paying fine to Chinese government, but their margin of profit can make up their lost.

Just some insights and information for the discussion.

Last edited by Cyanfall; 07-18-2018 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0