View Single Post
      01-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #29
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
I think the problem with some water pump discussions here is the wide spectrum of vehicles within this body style.

Coupling discussions of short life pumps coupled with the turbo N54 with the detuned NA N52 lead to confusion as 328i pumps seem to survive longer and seemingly not because its a different part.

I would agree, since I am 100% not sure if the 335I and non turbo modals use the same parts, the op in this case is 335i as is mine. When I did my research on this I thought all the E90 uses the same pump.

When mine failed I decide to take it apart to see what failed, the motor stator is incapsulated in plastic since BWM's design required due to using the coolant to also cool the electric motor of the pump. Well the plastic had fine cracks in and water got inside the stator and caused everything to swell up and lock up the motor.

My understand this is the same design across all the pumps and from my point of view it is power design of using coolant water to cool an electric motor and everything was mostly made of plastic. Based on this, i do not believe turbo cars coolant is any hotter than no Turbo since the pump is on the inlet of the engine after it been cooled down. Maybe a turbo cars are 10 to 20 degrees hotter but this does not explain the a difference in failure rates. I just think BMW had a large batch of bad pumps and most likely have fix it since the version on my pump was a couple of rev up so they made changes over time.
Appreciate 0