View Single Post
      12-16-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
noah.s
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

I bought a sew on steering wheel cover...

And it's pretty nice! It cost me $56 shipped off of eBay and arrived 9 days after i ordered. The version i linked, and i bought, is for the sport steering wheel, but they do have covers for the non-sport model.

You can customize the stitching and thread colors. You've gotta be really specific in what you want (What 2 colors on the cover, and what thread color). I asked for black and white stitching and that's what I got! (They gave me black and white on the wheel, and white thread. Not exactly what I had in mind but it looks fine and it's my fault)
You might be able to customize materials. I didn't ask, but if you're curious definitely do ask. I saw they sell alcantra covers and different colored leather inserts for different wheels, so I'm sure they can just cut your pattern on whatever material you want.

Installation took me awhile, probably because i've never done something like this before and I am pretty terrible/inexperienced at sewing. In total it probably took me 3 1/2 to 4 hours. I did an OK job installing it but it's definitely not perfect.

The quality seems pretty great for the price. Leather seems real and i didn't see any flaws in the finish. I did run into some problems but I would say they are due to installer (me) error. I will get into the problems I had later.

Comes with everything you need to install the cover. Thread, needle, a plastic tool to tuck the cover (i loosed the wheel trim to make tucking easier), and double-sided adhesive (which i didn't really use, will get more into that later)

This is what the cover looks like out of the box. Inside and out.

Now pictures of before, and after the install. Will see if I can get better pictures tomorrow. Too dark for my iPhone to get a decent picture. Don't mind the peeling trim, gotta wrap it.

So now to some of the problems I had,
View post on imgur.com
  • Using the tape was a bitch. It was hard to get perfectly lined up, and then the tape seemed to make it impossible to fix any alignment issues. So i took it all off and went tapeless.
  • In the end, the seams on the top and bottom where the leather switches from smooth to perforated, didn't line up. It has to be that my stitching, which I'll admit wasn't the best, caused them not to line up. They seemed to line up before i started stitching.
  • Behind the bottom spoke, the bottom middle piece is scrunched up. Probably my fault again. Going to see if I can try to make it a little better tomorrow.
  • I don't think you can tuck some end pieces in on the spokes. The sides of the bottom spoke don't really have anywhere to go at the back. I will try again to tuck into the small seam but that didn't work out tonight. Same with the other 2 spokes. I don't think I can tuck those triangle flaps in but I'll try. Or i'll find a way to make it look a little better.

A couple tips incase you end up doing this,
  • I followed a stitch pattern where you skip a loop on either side every time. When i neared the spokes i switched to stitching every loop to add strength and keep it tighter. I also did that on the thumb grips (I just went from the spokes all the way to the end of the grips doing every stitch, and did the middle of the top of the wheel skipping one every time)
  • Loosen or remove the trim to make tucking easier.
  • Watch a lot of videos on how to do this!
  • Be patient, it gets better.

It definitely looks good from the front. It adds some thickness and feels nice in the hand. I'll try to clean up some edges tomorrow, but a better installer than me could get this looking near perfect.
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251680.00