View Single Post
      12-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
Cyber Logic
Private
Rep
Drives: 23M3/18 M550i/09 335i/01 S2000

Garage List
Massive Oil Leak - Please help on source

OK so this has been a rough week for my BMW E90.

Last Friday My wife called me and said that as she pulled into the driveway she got an error on the screen saying the engine was going to be performing at reduced output or something along those lines. I run out to find huge puddle of oil on the garage floor. I have my wife start the car again just to see if I could see what was going on and it was immediately obvious that something had happened with the oil filter gasket, the one that is replaced with each oil filter change. It had a bit of a bulge that had formed in it that was allowing a stream of oil to shoot out. This apparently happened on my wife's way home as the oil was changed months ago and it's been fine. I quickly bought a new oil filter housing (the black plastic the filter goes into), new gasket and new filter and installed them. Topped off the car with oil (it was about 2 quarts down due to all it had leaked in the garage and way home) and had hoped that was it.

However today we went to drive the car for the first time since and in less then 30 minutes of driving it went through 1 quart of oil! From max to min. I look under the car and it's still dripping oil. I checked the oil filter housing again and it's solid with no leaks. I then went under again and checked the drain plug, it was full of oil but so is everything down there due to the original leak. So I cleaned it off and ran the car for a few minutes and the dripping from the undercarridge continues and it's NOT coming from the drain plug, it's still clean.

To me it almost seems like it's coming out of the gasket that is between the transmission and the engine based on where all the oil is but god that would suck. I obviously have to bring this in to get serviced but while I arrange all of that... does anyone have any ideas as to the probable cause of the leak or how best to determine? I can say that I don't see any oil coming from the oil filter gasket (the one holding the housing on) or the headers so neither of those should be the source.

Last edited by Cyber Logic; 12-13-2018 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0