12-13-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
Cyber Logic
Private
Rep
Drives: 23M3/18 M550i/09 335i/01 S2000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
So I have a suggestion for you. It is based on how you've described having leaks in two different places.

It is possible the PCV system in the valve cover has clogged and you have a buildup of exhaust pressure in the crank case. Other people on this board have posted this issue.

If the PCV system is clogged, you could be now pushing gas pressure out other gaskets on the engine, including the rear crank main seal. This pressure will also put out oil in these areas. This might also explain why you suddenly had a problem with the gasket on the cap over the oil filter. If the crankcase pressure is trying to vent it could have pushed this oil out as well.

The good news is that if it the PCV system being clogged, your rear main seal is probably fine and does not need to be replaced. At test for a failed PCV is to open the oil fill cap while the engine is running and see how much pressure is released while you do it. There should not be a lot of pressure released when you open the oil fill cap.

I hope this helps.
That is VERY helpful thank you. I had not heard of this so will immediately look into the PCV system.
Appreciate 0