View Single Post
      12-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #48
smaccona
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
It's not the type of issue I've ever seen or heard of in a Y cable specifically, but it's certainly the type of thing that could pop up if you have a bad serial chip in the Y cable. And the cable gets temp cycled really hard inside a car, and I wouldn't be surprised if the cheap Ebay cables are built with counterfeit chips to begin with (usually parts that don't pass testing at the factory, but work well enough to fool you). It could even be something like a crappy solder joint, I've certainly opened my cable to resolder it because of intermittent connection issues.

Bottom line, it seems crazy, but you've only got $20 to lose trying a new cable, and it's probably the most likely culprit.
I am having even worse luck with my iPhones. I just acquired a CPO 2011 328xi without iDrive, and the dealer gave me a Y-cable to integrate my iPhone. Here are the applicable codes from entering my VIN into bmwvin.com:

S639A - Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN
S6FLA - USB/Audio interface

When I plug the Y-cable into the center console, and either an iPhone 4 or an iPhone 5/5S with Lightning-to-30-pin adapter into the other end of the Y-cable, I can't find any way to access the music on the device. The Audio menu just shows "Tuner", "CD", "Aux" and "USB". Selecting "Aux" switches to Aux but when I play a track on the iPhone, it just comes out of the iPhone speaker. Selecting "USB" displays the message "Insert USB".

I have tried this with:

- iPhone 5S (iOS7) -> Lightning-30pin adapter -> Y-cable -> USB & AUX ports
- iPhone 5S (iOS7) -> Lightning cable -> USB port
- iPhone 5 (iOS7) -> Lightning-30pin adapter -> Y-cable -> USB & AUX ports
- iPhone 5 (iOS7) -> Lightning cable -> USB port
- iPhone 4S (iOS6) -> Y-cable -> USB & AUX ports
- iPhone 4S (iOS6) -> 30-pin adapter -> USB port

I didn't expect the 2nd, 4th and 6th efforts to work, since I believe I need the Y-cable to get audio, but I tried them anyway for completeness.

I also tried all of these with and without Bluetooth enabled.

Anyone have any tips or pointers, or what am I missing?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0