Drives: X3M, M3, 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [9.00]
2020 BMW X3 M  [9.25]
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
2016 Mini Cooper  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
Nah, just to help. Things have to go on for a while before I feel compelled to log in and offer my $0.02 though lol

BMW may have mapped it out reasonably well above stock levels, but it would've been done with the all things stock for those levels, which no one keeps. Change AFR or any of the factors that effect it and it's altered.

Chances are, any tuned N54 at almost any level will actually produce 525-625nm range and torque actual will generally be in that range, either by default or on purpose. Stock AT has to be limited to around 600nm max reported to avoid limiters and issues. Even MHD OTS maps ask which trans before flashing, there's a reason. Either way, reported and actual output values will generally be close out of coincidence or necessity, especially on canned tunes.

Torque actual is completely detached from actual output though and can't be used as a measure. As an example, here's a log I did a long time ago, make an estimate of the actual power.
Surely not 900-1000, right? I don't know your setup but I would imagine at least 2x stock power? I'll go with 680 Anyways that makes sense, I'm in no way saying "ditch dynos! There's one built in!" but I would certainly imagine BMW would have it from the factory within 10% or so, at least below 4500 or so. As you said the effects of AFR and whatnot wouldn't be perfectly calculated so tuned it would make sense that it would get more inaccurate. My car fully stock reported 440 odd nm, and that's really spot on as we've seen from dynos. Seems to me like the DME just doesn't account for the massive pressure and resistance in the turbine housing that robs us stock turbo guys of all that powah, and it reads really high up top. Is that pretty close? Thanks for the reply by the way. I'm fascinated by the sophistication of our DMEs
Appreciate 0