Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Agreed. While the forums are a great resource, especially Bimmerpost, there are way too many overreactions to failures/faults. Got a cam fault? Sorry your ledge is grooved/worn out, prepare to pay. Unknown fluid leaking? Sorry it's your rear main seal, prepare to pay. I'm not saying those issues don't occur, but there are a lot more things more likely to fail and stuff you can do a home as a DIY such as solenoids or just a coolant hose leaking or cracked.

While there have been extreme cases of significant failure of components, I find the E90 pretty reliable and if anything needs to be replaced, it's usually something inexpensive and serviceable.
So just to qualify what I wrote, I've owned 3-series BMWs for 30 years and have over 850,000 combined miles on 4 cars. I've been wrenching on cars for nearly 40 years now, even before I could drive. I know the E90 very well and probably have one of the top three cars with the highest mileage in the USA. The E90 with an N52 is a tank. If you can DIY, you can get a very long service life out of one. It's a well known statement that the BMW E30 was considered a tank. The E90 is just as good as the E30. I've owned both.

My 2 cents.
I agree. As far as modern cars go, the E90 with the N52 is severely underrated, overshadowed by the N54/N55.

While I'm not even close to you 300k+, I'm over 240k and have not run into any severe problems aside from the water pump and valve cover gasket.
Appreciate 0