08-24-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaduguy View Post
Ok so spill.... How do you do this? If I press the voice call button on the steering wheel and say a name it doesn't read the address book. I can only say dial number.
Fyi... Does it matter that I don't have Idrive?
One time setup - only if you don't want to sync all contacts between BB & BMW:
1. Mark the contacts on your BB that should be accessible on your BMW by setting them to a specific category. This is easily done in Outlook Contacts in view mode, just set all of them to a specific category, I call mine bmw.

2. Go to the car's bluetooth menu and there's a line item for category name sync, enter the same category name there (bmw).

3. When the BB is connected to the car via bluetooth it'll do an initial transfer for a few mins, later on it'll do incremental syncs only. There's also a force transfer option to speed up the initial sync but I don't remember where it is (probably bluetooth menu on phone or in car).

That's it. At this point you should be able to browse all the BB contacts via iDrive. You'll notice that iDrive breaks down each record to separate numbers, so if you have a John Doe contact on your BB, iDrive shows:
John Doe -home
John Doe -mobile
John Doe -work

Press the voice button on the steering wheel, wait for the beep and say
"Call John Doe mobile"

Don't say "Dial name", use "Call" instead. That's it. I use it every day, very useful feature!
Appreciate 0