04-27-2006, 10:31 AM   #60
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD
Well than what about clothes? Why dont you mind paying huge markups on that? For the cost of the car as opposed to other items you buy I know percentage wise the car makes the least amount of money. Also the only reason why the delaerships survive is because of service. I know service needs sales but sales alone wont pay for the 14 million dollar dealership we just moved into. Service accounts for 85-90% of the income for the store. What I am saying is that people are too caught up in thinking they are getting ripped off everytime they buy a car when in actuality they get ripped off far more for everything else in they buy and dont even notice or care. Thats my point.
When I am able to buy a $40,000 shirt, I will let you know. You keep bringing up percentages, but the sheer value of the items you are comparing are so different, that percentages mean squat. You're right about cheaper things being marked up, but a $50 shirt that is marked up 100% won't damage the wallet as much as ONE percent for a $40K car. I buy clothing that are on sale anyway.

I was going to bring up the point about how new car sales don't account for the majority of the dealer's profit. Why do we have to pay for your fourteen million dollar dealership? Did your clients ask for a larger dealership that they'll spend practically no time in?
Appreciate 0