View Single Post
      07-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #11
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Wish I'd seen these earlier. I recently installed a set of Powerflex yellow upper rear shock mounts.

Minor update/heads up here WRT to them and maybe these. As pointed out the stock mounts are pretty soft new, and degrade more with age. I replaced mine with the Pflex because I began to get some jiggling back there. The jiggling is gone but there were some odd knocking sounds on tiny bumps/pavement ripples while turning which were beginning to drive me crazy. Mainly right side rear.

The ONLY thing I did that day was the mounts and the intermittent knocking sound started almost immediately. I thought maybe I did not tighten the top shock nut down properly or lube the bushings enough, something. Took everything out from inside the trunk, took the nuts off, and the upper half of the mount. Everything had been tightened and lubed properly and zero sign anything was loose in there. Re-lubed/re-tightened/re-assembled everything.

When putting all the other stuff back in I noticed a slight rattle from the tool holder over the battery, and another rattle from the spare kit I run with since I dumped the run flats. Took out the loose things, voila, zero noise on a long test loop.

I can only conclude that since the new mounts were much stiffer, making the shocks work more (koni sports) and transmit more force to the car's unibody on tiny road imperfections, it was enough to start shaking those loose things enough extra to cause the noise.

So if you get some new noises maybe it is something along these lines. Or at least look into it before you tear your suspension apart. I had all kinds of things I was going to take apart but glad I stumbled across this first.
Appreciate 3