View Single Post
      10-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #66
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Hey guys, new BMW owner here so pardon my lack of basic mod knowledge in some spots. I've got an E90 2009 328i produced in July. Seems like this is AFTER the cutoff for S640A, but I'm not certain. What I'm confused by is my current harness lineup. I've got the "MULF2 - High Basis SVS" and I believe Sat Radio harness that laze has, but no other harnesses in the trunk. What I'm confused by is that I don't have the bluetooth antenna nor FZD mounted microphone, which is normal, but I don't seen to have the harness plugs for them either. I can't anywhere find a tied back coax connector in the pedal trim, nor a tied back connector for a mic.

So my questions are A, are those two connectors I seem to be missing (mic and pedal trim coax) part of the S640A option which isn't installed on my car, or am I just daft and can't find them and in either case B. what do I need to complete this setup and get bluetooth functioning? Do I only need the mic and antenna? Do I need the wiring harness (and if so, where do I find the part number and installation doc? Is it a REPLACEMENT harness that would require redoing everything else as well?)? I THINK my current config is most similar to gjimmy, so insight from you would be super helpful.

Also, if I don't have S640A, why do I have the MULF2 in the trunk? What function does it serve if not the bluetooth integration? I do have USB in the center console (that seems to be useless, friggin iPhones don't work) if that has anything to do with it.

Finally, my understanding from LAZD's guide is that the free coax cable in my trunk goes to the pedal trim and can be used for bluetooth. But my understanding is that the coax in my trunk is actually part of the sat radio harness, in which case, why would it go to the pedal trim? What am I missing here?

Hopefully someone's got my similar setup and knows my pain. I have an email in to my dealer, and I'm going to try to call up BMWUSA tomorrow to get a complete options list for my VIN, since I looked under the back seat but the final configuration bill didn't include options codes.
the MULF2 is for your USB functions. iphone doesn't work as the car's software is too old to recognise the iphone. if you have iDrive, you may be able to update the software to recognise iphone. otherwise, the USB port is good enough to plug in a flash drive for mp3 music or charge your iphone.

check your driver side foot well to see if there's any coax cable tucked in somewhere. if there isn't, then you'll need to buy a antenna cable.
check the MULF2 and see if pins 1, 19 and 21 are used. if they are empty, you have no mic wiring at all.

you can check your build via this site.
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...catalogue.html

parts needed for this retrofit for cars without SA640 has been discussed in detail in various threads. you should be able to find the exact part numbers to buy as well. I did my research for a few weeks before buying the parts including the coding cable.

the summary of parts needed
mic in FZD - from BMW
bluetooth antenna - from BMW
bluetooth antenna cable - from eBay (SMB female to SMB female cable)
mic wiring - any 2 core wire or 2 core wire with shielding. about 5 metres needed
BMW wiring pigtails or MQS pins - pigtails can be bought from BMW. for MQS pins, search for one of my earlier posts as as someone managed to buy them in the states.

summary of installation
1. connect bluetooth antenna to MULF2 using the antenna cable (SMB cable)
2. run the mic wire from the FZD location to the trunk
3. terminate the mic wire either using the BMW pigtails or the MQS pins depending on what you have bought
4. connect pin 1 of mic to pin 1 of MULF2. connect pin 2 of mic to pin 19 of MULF2. if you mic cable has shielding, connect the trunk side to pin 21 of the MULF. pin 3 of the mic is left empty
5. code the car and add $664 to the VO list. the radio (2RAD) will need to be coded as well.

i guess i've provided you with enough information for now. search for forum for more details if you need.
Appreciate 0