View Single Post
      10-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #83
bmwfixr
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopvillian View Post
Just keep levering it until it pops to the side. The rubber boot is keeping it in there.

Just want to say thanks for the DIY to the OP. Just did this fix this morning. Took less than an hour and I went slow. Nice to have DS back.
It's a great DYI. Some notes:

If you have a broken white wire - there will be no DS or M at all.
From other post - only a broken purple wire, no downshift.

I had multiple cracks, white was completely severed. Blue was cracked and was the first I inspected by burning off the insulation. Glad I did, only 2 strands were still intact, it was a movement or two away from breaking. I burned off the rest that were cracked (green, yellow, orange and purple in my case) and silvered the strands to strengthen them and then added electrical tape around each. Wrapped the whole bundle in electrical and allowed it to run free instead of doing the 90 degree torture test under the cover.

Now, you'd think all would be well. Nope, turns out that the black plug under the blue connector on the right side of the shifter, the one that runs to the parking microswitch was loosened just enough to look like it was plugged in. That took another few hours to track down, as I got the nice gear code in the dash and threw AB09, among a whole bunch of others. I took the entire module back apart to check the microswitch as referenced by this posting, and this time noted that I needed to yank the black plug too. It's not locked in, and pulls out really easily, at least in my case. Microswitch looked fine, put it all back together and all worked fine.

DS is back! Just note it may not be 30 or even 60 min if you run into one of those little gotchas.