View Single Post
      08-20-2022, 11:29 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90canada66 View Post
... 2008 328i SULEV N51 with 149,000 kms. not driven this car for basically 2 years... removed and cleaned the camshaft position sensor which was covered in dirty oil. [Intake Cam or Exhaust Cam?] Car is running much much much better. It still misfires and is not quite right. These are the codes showing:
P0012 "A Camshaft position - Timing over-retarded Bank 1"
P13B4 "The fault code is not found in the database" [Intake Cam Signal NOT correlating with Crankshaft Sensor Signal?]
PO174 "System too lean bank 2"
P0303 "Cylinder 3 misfire detected"
P0301 "Cylinder 1 misfire deteceted"
P0442 "Evaporative emission leak detected (small leak)" [NOT relevant to engine performance]
... Last 7 digits of VIN are FZ82555...
Still seems to be an issue with the INTAKE Cam Position Sensor, likely the connector or its wiring. You may also have a Vacuum Leak causing lean running, but that usually ALSO causes P0171 for SAME lean condition on Bank 1 (cylinders 1,2,3.) Perhaps a leaking/cracked hose from Valve Cover to Intake Manifold.

If you can get a Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) that can read Live Data, it would be helpful to view Intake Cam Sensor Signal (cam angle) as received by DME, and also MAF Sensor Signal (both at idle), and correlate your readings with a vehicle with NO issues.

I would carefully examine the Intake Cam Sensor pins and Connector Sockets for any damage, corrosion, etc., and electrically test the wiring between the Sensor and DME Connector using a multimeter. Test for short to chassis ground, and continuity, as well as ohms resistance. If you need suggestions on HOW to test, please advise.

I will attach (to NEXT Post) ISTA ScreenPrints of "Valve Gear" SSP, showing Intake Cam Sensor wiring to DME, Connector Location & View, and DME Connector X60007 where sensor wiring connects to DME, Pins 11 & 24 of connector X60007 at the DME. Please let us know what you find.
George
Appreciate 0